Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Recovery from Surgery

Evan was so groggy, he kept drifting in and out of sleep, and then occassionally vomiting (well, actually... dry heaving). He hadn't had anything to eat, except for the IV and the medicines.

The nurses were debating whether to keep him overnight or have him go home. Andrea came to drop Jordan off at 5:30 or so, just as they were moving us from the surgery area to a room downstairs in of of the Urgent Care, Emergency Room wing. A nurse upstairs had said it would be ok to have Jordan come and stay with us, but in the new area... the nurses wouldn't allow him to stay.

So at about 6:00, Evan's Grandma stayed with him and I took Jordan home to get him ready for the sleepover at church. We packed his bag, checked with my friend Katie to see how Alli was doing, and then stopped at the grocery store to pick up soft foods that Evan could eat (applesauce, yogurt, soup, a lunchable for Jordan...). Joe got off work early and went to pick up Alli. I dropped off the food at home, said hi to Alli and Joe, and then dropped Jordan off at church. Then I was back to the hospital to check on Evan.

When I got there, they were preparing to release him. He vomited again, so I thought they would have to keep him, but they continued to prepare him for discharge. The Dr. had said that they should keep him overnight, if he vomited again. My mom had told the nurses that I wouldn't be able to stay the night (and wait for discharge sometime in the morning) because I had to pick up Jordan, and take care of Alli, and Joe had to work. The nurses in this area seemed more intent on getting us out of there, then on helping Evan. The nurse didn't seem to sure of herself. I wondered if she was new. She said that movement might make him vomit more, so she gave us a bag to use for the walk to the car. We were wondering if we couuld carry him, then I asked for a wheelchair. I think that's usually standard procedure, but she didn't even think of it. I pulled the car around, while the nurse and my mom weeled Evan to the ER Entrance door. My mom drove my car, and I sat in the back seat with Evan, just in case he got sick again. Thankfully, he didnt. I was so squished though, sitting in between Alli's car seat and Evan's car seat. I didn't want to have to reinstall Alli's car seat later, so I just left it.

We got Evan home. I carried him up the 3 flights of stairs to the apt., so that the motion would not cause him to vomit again. We gave him applesauce and some sprite and got his bed all ready and put him to bed. Through all of this, he had been very brave. I was so proud of him.

Joe gave my mom a ride back to the hospital to pick up her car, so she could drive home, while I stayed home with Evan and Alli (who had been sleeping since before I got home). I got together anything I might have needed in case Evan got sick during the night, or in case he had any pain, or needed my attention. Then after Joe got back home, I attempted to sleep.

No comments: