Thursday, July 31, 2008

Gastroenterologist

We met with a doctor last week to discuss Evans constipation and potty training issues. He did some blood tests and determined that Evan does not have celiac disease. We also had bloodwork sent to San Antonio for the reasearch study. I received the box of supplies the morning of Evans apt. and I took it with to the apt on the chance that they would do all the bloodwork at the same time.

I really liked this dr too. He was very helpful. He explained that it may take a while for potty training and that part of it may be fear after the fissure and rectal prolapse episode and that a second factor is the low muscle tone, which makes it hard to go also. I learned from other parents at the conference in July that it is common for 18q- kids to have constipation issues, and they also have low tone, so this connection makes sense.

Our plan is to give Evan Miralax every day, and I need to keep a diary of the dose and the time and then keep track of his BMs. I have started this, but it's hard to keep the same routine every day. I will need to adjust it as needed also. We started giving the Miralax between 3 and 4, so that he will have a BM right after supper. It doesn't seem to take that long to work though, so I will have to see which time is going to work the best. We are then going to reward his BMs in his pull up and then eventually double reward him for going in the potty after supper.. and hopefully we will have an exact time by then, so it will be a routine. We eat and then go potty.

This is kind of confusing and will take some getting used to and some figuring out, but I'm glad that I now have a plan that will hopefully work for Evan. It's good to know that there is a plan and that eventually we'll have this potty training done with once and for all.

No comments: