Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Every day is a new adventure...

Wednesdays are my whole days with Evan, or better yet, the days I have to bite my lip so that I don’t go crazy. He only attends school from 12-2:15, 4 days a week.

Evan is very determined. And he will repeat until you do what he says or repeat what he says
I have learned that I need lots of patience with him. And sometimes even that isn’t enough
The day continues on and on. And sometimes my patience wears thin.

This morning in the bathtub, he would not get his head wet. So I gave him the choice, you can either dip your head in the water, dump a glass of water on your head yourself… or I can do it for you. He refused to do either or to make a choice, so I had to be the mean mommy and dump the water on his head.

After we finished that and got dressed and all that fun stuff, he informed me that it was breakfast time. But he didn’t want a pop tart... He said he wanted hot dogs. Don’t’ quite know where he got this idea. Then I just said no, no hot dogs for breakfast, but you can have a pop tart. I set it on the table and waited. Then he wanted hot cocoa. So I tried to find the cup he wanted, but he said he wanted the froggy one, which I had no idea what he meant and then he got upset at me.

Then my phone rang and it was my mom. Evan started dancing and singing to the Brad Paisley song, which is the ringtone on my phone. Then he started saying thank you to me, but I didn’t understand him… so he started to yell. My mom asked what the deal was, I said I didn’t know. Then I figured it out, and said oh you said thank you?, and I said you’re welcome.. then he said yes and was ok. Then he wanted to talk to Grandma…

Then after I got off the phone, he wanted something else… I started just saying “Show me” when I can’t understand him, because he gets so mad and frustrated sometimes… so then it turns out he wanted the permanent markers that were on top of the fridge. So I gave him the colorwonder markers and book instead (much less mess that way, lol).

So far so good… this is my day with Evan, actually this is only his activities for about 2-3 hours because he slept in today (which is not normal) and because I didn't have time to write about the entire day. Just wanted to paint a picture about how his attention span and his activity level is. He jumps from one activity to another faster than I can keep up, lol. Some days are better than this, some are a lot worse. I never know what to expect. Or what to plan for. But I need lots of patience... :)

It is always an adventure, never boring. I wrote this at about noon today. By 2:00 I was feeling a big headache coming on. It's hard to be patient and calm with the constant energy and the occassional screaming or tantruming when he is not understood or doesn't get his way. Wow, I could sure use a day at the spa, lol.

No comments: